Friday, February 21, 2014

Thomas Crowther IV (4th Great Grandfather)


Thomas Crowther

12 March 1823-

2 October 1898

Personal History of Thomas Crowther given by himself:

I went from one sect to another but I still felt an aken void. I seemed to be hunting something that none of the religious sect had got. About this time I was 22 years of age when I quit farmer's service and went into Staffordshire and worked at blast furnaces, that is manufacturing of iron. I continued to work at this business the remainder of the time I stayed in England. When I was about 26 years of age I married a young woman by the name of Sarah Thompson. About the time that we got married I went and paid a visit to my mother-in-law. When for the first time my eyes beheld the Book of Mormon. This was about 1849. There happened to be a Mormon Elder at her home, by the name of Thomas Shelly, he presented me with a copy of the Book of Mormon which I took home with me and read it through, and truly I thought I had found the pearl of great price. My father and mother-in-law had already been baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints, and had two of their children healed in a miraculous manner. They were both healed by the power of God, which cased quite a stir in the neighborhood. Several joined the church there about this time, and as I stated I read the Book of Mormon through and was very much interested in the little light that I had gained through reading that precious record. It caused me to long for more. I was not long in hunting up the place where the Latter-day Saints held their meetings, and the first or second time I went to see them, one elder spoke in Tongues and another interpreted the Tongue. The substance of it was, that branch should grow and prosper and many should be added to the church. I shall never forget the sensation that came over me at that time, for I was satisfied that these men spoke by the power of God. I saw that prophecy fulfilled to the very letter. In the next three months there were 44 added to that branch, myself and wife included among them. We were baptized Oct. 13th, 1850, into the Tipton Branch of the Birmingham Conference, By Elder George Hill, President of that branch. I was ordained to the office of Priest, December 26, 1851 by Elder John Weston. Later ordained an Elder by William George, 13 May, 1953.
About this time I met with a bad accident. I hurt one of my shoulders so bad I could not lift my arm up. I had faith in the power of God and his ordinances. I went to meeting at night and took with me some oil and requested the elders to anoint my shoulder with the oil and pray to the Lord in the name of Jesus Christ to heal me, which they did and I was healed from that very moment, and went to my work the next morning to the astonishment of all my fellow workmen. Although my should was back and blue and discolored for weeks afterward; but not to hurt me in the least. This was the first time I has the power of God manifest upon my own body. Previous to my hearing the Gospel I had one of my legs broken which caused me to he helpless for three months. This was about two months after I was married. During this time I read and reflected a great deal. I prayed earnestly for the Lord to guide me in the right path. I realize that it was through this circumstance that led me to investigate and embrace the Gospel. Quite a number of years have passed since then. I am writing from memory at this late date, thinking it would be of interest to my children after I am gone. What I write is the Truth. Part of this story is included in the Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847–1868 Seth M. Blair/Edward Stevenson Company (1855) - Crowther, Thomas, Autobiographical sketch, 62-63, in Histories and biographies written by members of Camp Sunflower, Daughters of Utah Pioneers of Center Utah County, Provo, Utah, vol. 1.



Emigration of Thomas Crowther in 1854 on the Ship "Clara Wheeler"

A Compilation of General Voyage Notes "DEPARTURE OF THE CLARA WHEELER. -- The Clara Wheeler, with 421 Saints on board, including infants, cleared for New Orleans on the 24th ultimo. Elder Henry E. Phelps took the presidency of the company, with Elders John Parson and James Crossly as his counsellors. We commend these brethren and their company to the watchful care and protection of our Heavenly Father, and trust that his blessings will constantly attend them in their journey to the land and cities of Zion." "THE CLARA WHEELER put into the Mersey on the 30th November, having been driven back by stress of weather. We understand that she received no material damage and the Saints on board were generally well, with the exception of seasickness. After receiving further supplies of water and provisions, she again put to sea on the 7th instant with a favorable wind." "SEVENTY-EIGHTH COMPANY -- Clara Wheeler, 422 souls. The ship Clara Wheeler, with four hundred and twenty-two Saints on board cleared the port at Liverpool November 24 , 1854, bound for New Orleans. Elder Henry E. Phelps was appointed president of the company, with Elders John Parson and James Crossly as counselors. After a rough experience in the Irish Channel, being unable to proceed against the incessant head winds and rough weather, the Clara Wheeler was obliged to return to port on the thirtieth of November. During this extraordinary experience the Saints suffered considerable with seasickness. After receiving further supplies of water and provisions, the ship again put to sea on the seventh of December with a favorable wind, and on the tenth she cleared the Irish Channel after which she had a very quick trip to New Orleans, where she arrived on the eleventh of January, 1855. Soon after leaving Liverpool the measles broke out in the company, resulting in the death of twenty children and two grown persons. One child also died after the arrival at New Orleans which made twenty three deaths in all. On the twelfth of January, James McGaw, the church emigration agent at New Orleans, contracted with the captain of the steamboat Ocena, to take the passengers to St. Louis at the rate of three dollars and a half for each adult, and half of that for children between three and twelve years old; and twenty-four hours after their arrival in New Orleans, the emigrants were on their way up the river. Nearly one half of the company had not the means wherewith to pay their passage to St. Louis; but the more well-to-do Saints who had more money that they needed themselves, were influenced to lend to those who had none, and thus all who desired to continue the journey were enabled to do so. At St. Louis where the company arrived in safety, the emigrants were met by Apostle Erastus Snow and others, who gave the new arrivals a hearty welcome, and conducted them to comfortable quarters, which had been secured for their accommodation. This company, although leaving England in the latter part of 1854, really belonged to the emigration of 1855, in connection with which the Saints who crossed the Atlantic in the Clara Wheeler continued the journey to the Valley. (Millennial Star, Vol. XVI: pp.778, 815; Vol XVII: pp.10, 142, 184)." "Monday. 27. [Nov. 1854] -- The ship Clara Wheeler sailed from Liverpool, England, with 422 Saints, under the direction of Henry E. Phelps. The company arrived at New Orleans Jan. 11, 1855, and at St Louis Jan. 22nd."

No comments:

Post a Comment