Sunday, January 31, 2016

John Rice (7th Great Grandfather)

Will of John Rice 

- 22nd day of September 1812 -Roane County, Tennessee, Estate Book “A”, page 60 - "The last will and testament of John Rice was produced in open court for probate. Whereupon John C. Haley and Henry Matlock made oath that they saw the said John Rice sign and seal and heard publish and declare the same to be his last will and Testament, and that he was at the time of publishing the same of sound and perfect mind and memory to the best of their knowledge and belief; which will be ordered to be recorded and is as follow, to wit, “In the name of God, Amen. I, John Rice, of the County of Roane and State of Tennessee, being of sound mind and memory, do make ordain, and establish this to be my last Will and Testament, in manner and form following, to wit: First, I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife, Susannah Rice, the sum of two hundred dollar in cash, which money is to be applied by her in purchasing whatever part of my house and goods and furniture she may think proper to purchase. And whatever, she may wish to purchase shall be sold to her at ready money and Cash Sale. I further give to my wife one bed and furniture. I give and bequeath unto William Rice, son of my first wife, One Dollar. As to the balance of my estate, both real and personal, it is my Will and desire that it equally divided amongst my children. It is my will and desire that Milly Bartlett shall have a young Negro. But the value of said Negro shall be deducted out of her proportional part of my estate. It is my Will that my two grandchildren, Betsy and Esau Rice, children of my son, John Rice, dec’d., shall have one equal share of my estate between them. And it is further my Will and desire that my two old Negroes, Jack and Jenny, shall not be parted or separated, but that they shall be permitted to live together in the same family. And I do hereby appoint my son, Isaac Rice, sole executor of hits, my last Will and Testament. And I do hereby revoke all former Wills by me made. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal, this 22nd day of September 1812. Signed - John Rice (with seal) Witnesses: John C. Haley, Henry, Matlock, John Williams Whereupon, Isaac Rice, the executor named in said Will, appeared in open court and with John C. Haley, his security, entered into Bond in the sum of Four Thousand Dollars, conditioned as the Law directs. It is therefore ordered by this Court that Letters Testamentary of all and singular the good and chattles Rights and Credits which were of the said John Rice I pass to the said Isaac Rice, he having been qualified according to law. Will proved April 1815

John Rice
1745-1815

No comments:

Post a Comment